Sunday, May 23, 2010

It was the strangest thing...

Darkness had already settled in, and the only sounds that could be heard were the crickets and frogs in the distance. I was outside walking Bea when I noticed the strangest thing. It appeared that little sparks of light were flying about and then disappearing. Fairies, you ask? No. Fireflies. That's right, folks. Fireflies (a.k.a. lightning bugs) live in my neighborhood. Tomorrow night I plan to catch one and send a picture before I release it back into the wild. Tune in on Tuesday to see if I caught one.

WHAT? THERE ARE BUGS OUT THERE THAT LIGHT UP? Yes, my friends, bugs that light up actually exist. If you are curious about this fascinating creature, click on the links below to learn more.

National Geographic: Fireflies

Lights alive! Flashy Facts

Lights alive! Bioluminescence



I'll post the news of my hopefully successful firefly hunt tomorrow night. Wish me luck.