Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Flight of the Firefly

We did it! We caught a firefly! Okay, okay...technically Mr. Gober caught a firefly. He captured it in a glass jar so we could watch it light up.


However, the little guy refused to light up once he was in the jar, so I decided to let him out. Maybe he would light up if he was out of the jar... (He's walking on top of the glass table in the picture)

Suddenly, this didn't seem like such a good idea. He started flying around and finally landed on the wall.

Here's a close up of the firefly on the wall.


I decided it would be best if I put him back in the jar. You guys know how much I love touching insects...


I just felt bad for the little guy. He looked so stressed out,

so I went outside and let him go.

I thought I'd post a couple of links to some videos to give you the full effect. In the following video, the "After image effect" is a special effect they added to the film to show their flight pattern) Click here to see what fireflies look like at night. Click on the square with the four arrows pointing outward (at the bottom right corner of the video) to see it in full screen.